Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Facebook Birthday Dilemma

So I have to admit something.

I purposely don't have my birthday listed on Facebook.

I guess I have this weird thing where I don't want people to feel pressured to wish me a happy birthday if they had to be reminded over a social network app. I just want them to say it if they want to.

So, that is why my birthday is not on there.

I don't wish people a happy birthday on Facebook because I don't want to be cheesy. I worry that they will be like, "Hmm. I haven't seen her in years, why is she telling me Happy Birthday?"

I don't know. I guess I'm weird.

But, after yesterday and having so many people write me personal messages for my birthday it made me realize that I haven't been a very nice friend.

I also realized that just because I'm fine with people not making a big deal over my birthday it doesn't mean they feel the same way.

I received gifts and service yesterday that made me so happy and feel so lucky to be me and be 38.

I realize that I need to be a better friend in that sense.

I'll work on it.

I hope, though, that my friends know that I appreciate them very much through the other things I do for them. I think I just have a different way of expressing myself in a friendship.

Maybe I just get too caught up in surviving my own daily life that I neglect the little things I can do for my friends.

Anyway, that was my thoughts.

I was talking to a friend today and she was explaining some things to me about my personality and it was very enlightening to hear some of my personality traits that really mold me and how I react to life around me.

I came to a realization during that conversation that for me, friendship is a strong and lasting reciprocation of true and honest respect and love. I also understand why I feel guilty about not taking the opportunity to wish everyone a happy birthday that I have a chance to come by... I really don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or make them feel unloved if I don't comment on their social media page. I'm hoping that whoever I am friends with know me well enough that me not saying "Happy Birthday" on Facebook negates my feelings for them.

Anyway...

that was my soap box.

My UP for today was receiving a great shoulder massage from my friend who is  massage therapist.
Wew!

Happy moments!

0 remarks: